Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Deciding to Work with What I've Got


The last day of  February is here. While winter always seems to drag on endlessly, suddenly it's March and the past few months seem like a blur. I've got some daffodils in the back yard with buds, proof that Spring is almost here.

We met with my garden partner for coffee this week. We agreed that there's no hurry to start the garden and will aim for late April or May to get the compost and tilling done. 

That means that my desire to get started with lettuces and spinach will have to be done at home in containers.  Last week in my Friday Favorites I included a link to a post on growing edibles in small spaces. The post is from P. Allen Smith's blog, and I just loved each of the examples shown.  What I like is the mix of veggies with flowers and the clever use of containers. 

A year ago I was ready to buy self-watering railing planters, then the community garden plot came along. I've been kicking myself for not buying them last year, when I could afford them. But, after seeing those container ideas I think I'll take on the challenge of using what I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment