Saturday, July 21, 2012

Garden Update

Our Plot at Heritage Farm


This morning we went to the community garden. I had left a bucket of "moo-poo" tea steeping since Thursday. This is the second time I've applied it, about 2 cups per plant, about 3 weeks apart. It's simple to use and I like that I'm not fertilizing the entire garden or applying a chemical granular fertilizer.


Not only are the vegetables thriving, but my flowers look great too. Nasturtiums, marigolds, and cosmos.  The poppies are just barely hanging on, next year I will not plant flowers in a hose area.


The only problem is an insect I've found on one of my 3 tomatoes. The leaves have been curled on this plant, and we've seen others like it at the garden. We thought it was a water issue, but today I saw little black bugs and lots of tiny bugs on the leaves. Not sure what it is yet, but I've got some biodegradable soap at home (Shacklee Basic H) and will try spraying them in the morning next day or so.


We left the garden with lettuce, radish, and carrots and I've got a zucchini I plan to use in a casserole dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment