Saturday, May 26, 2012

When It Rains It Pours

After planting my new planter today, I took a photo, to show the plants before they really grow. I planted a red pear tomato, a cucumber plant that was mostly eaten by Kabrina, and a few nasturtiums I'd started from seed.  As an after thought I planted some marigold seed, just to see what they'd do. I'd really like a black-eyed susan vine to climb up the mesh, and something trailing that will spill over the front, maybe some more Big Blue lobelia, which I just discovered this year.








Little did I know that another thunderstorm was on it's way. We'd had a big one last night and I thought that was over, since we don't get those too often around here. The storm hit with torrential rain, then hail, then more rain with thunder and lightning for effect. Turns out the gutter 2 stories above the planter couldn't handle that much water and whirligig debris, so it just shot off the roof straight into my newly planted planter.




We quickly covered the spot that was starting to look like a pond. The tomato seems to be ok, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to drain and if any seed will emerge after I'd so carefully planted it 1/4" beneath the surface.







No comments:

Post a Comment