Thursday, April 12, 2012

Veggie Shopping List

Back in February, I had narrowed down the plant selection for veggie gardening this year. I decided I'd better go back to it now and use it as I start shopping at nurseries. My post was on February 28th, Veggies that Made the Cut.  I was basing choices on the book I'd been reading, Sugar Snaps and Strawberries, as well as what we liked to eat.



I started with the 10 easiest to grow from the book:
beans, lettuce, peas, radishes, summer squash, and tomatoes, (beets were voted out). I've planted a hanging basket with lettuce, and bought some peas and an 'Early Girl' tomato.
The last three were 'maybes', since I wasn't sure about cooking them: chard, herbs, and potatoes.

I can now say no chard, I've tried cooking it 3 times and I can't seem to get it right, maybe next year. The easter bunny brought me a basket with herbs, so I'm going grow them here close to the kitchen in a container on our upper deck. Last, potatoes, the discussion at the garden orientation made it sound like they might not be so easy.  If I've got extra room I'll try them, but they are still 'maybes'.

In my original post I added some shade plants:
strawberries, kale and spinach. I've started strawberries in a hanging basket, but kale is out, same reason as chard. I've bought some spinach and am thinking of additional salad veggies on the upper deck - easy to get to from the kitchen. Also cleaner than grown in the ground.

My boyfriend had added to the list:
peppers, corn, and carrots. Peppers and corn we'll try at the garden. I've bought some carrots and I'm toying with growing them here in a container, yes because I saw it on Pinterest and it made carrots look cool.

My friend had added:
acorn squash, hubbard squash, and yams. Yams were eliminated at the garden orientation, most agreed it's too cool here. But the community garden plot has plenty of room for squash, so I may try both.

Since making this list I've also had a winter squash recommended. There's also the vegetable certain to be the favorite - pumpkins. My friend recommended one with sugar or pie in the name, and I love the miniatures for decorating.

I can take this list with me shopping, but I think it still needs some varities added. I'll go through notes and try to get those in so I can look for better container sizes and any specifically recommended. If anyone has a variety they like please leave a comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment