Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Veggies that Made the Cut

With the garden plot lottery only 2 days away, I've been compiling a list of the vegetables I'd like to grow. I said earlier that I'd get bogged down if I had to plan a large garden (http://all-purpose-flower.blogspot.com/2012/02/planning-my-vegetable-garden.html), but I'm finding that making the choice of vegetables to plant has been pretty easy. 


I started with the list of the 10 easiest to grow from Sugar Snaps and Strawberries. I eliminated any I wouldn't eat (sorry beets). These I'll try:

  • beans (c)
  • lettuce (c)
  • peas  (c)
  • radishes  (c)
  • summer squash 
  • tomatoes  (c)
Early Prolific Straightneck from Clear Creek Seeds.com


The rest are maybes, because I'm not sure how to cook some, let alone by the bushel:
  • chard  (c)
  • herbs
  • potatoes
Swiss chard from Red Dirt Ramblings.com


I added a couple plants listed in the book as good for growing in part-shade:
  • strawberries  (c)
  • kale  (c)
  • spinach  (c)
I asked my boyfriend which he likes to eat, so I added these to the list:
  • peppers  (c)
  • corn
  • carrots  (c)

Finally, I was talking to a friend who suggested:
  • acorn squash
  • hubbard squash
  • yams
Since the plot is year round, the young person in our household pointed out that we should plant pumpkins.  When I mentioned this to my friend, she suggested looking for:
  • pumpkin plants that say "pumpkin pie" or "sugar" in the name.
Acorn squash from west coast seeds.com


I now have a list of vegetables to plant if I get a plot in the community garden. 
In the event I don't get one, I now have a list of the veggies I'll plant in containers (c) here at home.

Next step will be a plan or layout for the garden.  I don't know the orientation yet, but I've seen a couple of tutorials that could be adapted.

Photos are from my Pinterest board "Veggies". To see these photos and others just click on the Pinterest button at the bottom right of the page.

1 comment: