Monday, September 16, 2013

My Clay Pot Wreath

Over the weekend I stumbled on some old bookmarks that I'd forgotten about. So I decided to look at a few intending to delete some. I was looking at some of the first blogs I'd read. Back then I didn't know about readers and I had not yet thought of making a blog of my own.

I found a page at Bees Knees Bungalow with photos of the clay pot wreath that you may have seen on Pinterest. This wreath has gone viral several times over and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I see it almost every time I log on to Pinterest. While I don't make a habit of posting web photos, I'm making an exception here. Please note that this image was taken by Bees Knees Bungalow and I found it on Pinterest after doing a search for "clay pot wreath".


Clay pot wreath image by Bees Knees Bungalow


When I first saw it I was just amazed by it. I've made several types of wreaths, but had never imagined using real clay pots. It's really too bad that the creator of that wreath hasn't gotten proper credit. Jeanne at Bees Knees Bungalow took this photo that landed on Pinterest, but claims she did not make the wreath, despite numerous requests for how-to info. She did later create her own version and posted instructions here.

After seeing the original wreath I decided I would like to try making my own. Go to Pinterest and search "clay pot wreath" and you will see that I'm not alone, there are a lot of variations on this idea. I had a lot of left-over supplies and materials that I could use. I stuck close to the original wreath concept, but didn't use live plants. I had a place in mind on our lower back deck that was covered and chose that spot because it was dry.


I posted a photo of my wreath last summer, although it was more of a glimpse than a detailed shot.


My version of the clay pot wreath (took this photo when I hung it).


I incorporated a lot of  loose pieces I'd saved over the years,
 like the bird houses and clay heart


I have a lot of pine cones and they seemed a good 
counterpart to the heavy clay pots.


Here you can see the silk grapevine and leaves, the covered wire that ties each pot to the wreath frame. You can also see the florist foam I used to support the bird houses ( this should be covered by moss).



Here it is when I added the vintage sign.
The wreath has been hanging outside on the wall for over a year now. My biggest concern was that everything was secure and nothing would fall off and break.  It's proven to be pretty durable. The downside is that it is on a wall where nobody sees it, but me when I water.

Do you have a project inspired by a Pinterest photo? I've got a long list of ideas and the change in weather and the upcoming holidays offer a chance to try a couple.


No comments:

Post a Comment