Thursday, August 15, 2013

Harvest Makes Me Think of Fall

My pumpkin patch in the making.

In a post a few weeks ago I mentioned how lush and green the garden was, due to our milder weather this summer. I think I mentioned that I recall August looking "baked". Well in only a matter of weeks my garden went from lush to this. The potatoes are mostly to blame.


Despite the way it looks we've picked green beans and corn twice this week.
 Today I picked zucchini, crookneck, and the first of the yellow pear tomatoes. It's time to harvest just about everything - still waiting on the tomatoes.


The sunflowers are suddenly blooming.


There are an assortment of pumpkins: large, medium and small. 

While watering, I got to talk to Al (last year's fava bean donator).  He gobbles up the vacant, unwanted lots and plants fall/winter crops. He's acquired two lots south of mine. He's a very nice guy and as he was walking away he told me he has crates on his plot for extras to give to the food bank.


In addition to the flea beatles my plot is now overrun with aphids. Today I pulled a lot of nasturtiums out, since they seem to be the choice plant. I did see some lady bugs, but they've got their work cut out for them. I know pests are everywhere, but one of the down sides to community gardening is that you don't have control of them or your immediate environment. Also, your neighboring gardeners can invite problems by leaving garbage and rotten food. I've seen critters two times this week, never saw any last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment