Thursday, February 21, 2013

Community Gardening at Heritage Farm

Tonight is my orientation meeting for returning gardeners at the community garden. I mentioned before that the Master Gardener's Foundation took over management of our community garden. They have offices, greenhouses, and a popular plant sale on the site.

I saw on their website that they are currently taking names for new plots this year, the deadline is March 1, 2013. If you are interested in gardening at 78th Street Heritage Farm, e-mail them at Heritagefarmcommunitygardens@gmail.com.

If you've been considering planting a community garden I would recommend it. I really enjoyed my first year and learned quite a bit, mostly through trial and error.

The #1 thing I learned last year is to pick plants based on disease tolerance. I had problems with bugs and viruses and will definitely choose plants more carefully this year.

Unless you shop for produce at farmer's markets, there is no comparison to the taste of freshly grown veggies. We were surprised by how much some of our plants produced. We got used to eating fresh produce, and I can say that I have not eaten one tomato this winter that even tastes like a tomato.

It seems like a long, long time since we pulled the last of our plants in November. I'm eager to get going with plans and preparation for this year's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment