Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gluten Free Zucchini Bread

Something I haven't shared over the summer was my attempt(s) to make gluten free [gf] carrot  muffins and zucchini bread. Those who know me will agree, I am not a cook, I also do not bake. But the abundance of  veggies we had this summer made it clear that I will have to learn.

Last spring I bought a great gf cook book, Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, by Amy Green. Chris and I have tried several of her recipes with success.  Then I made two attempts at the carrot muffins, the second time trying to replace carrots with zucchini - Fail. 

On the first try I realized I was missing an ingredient and actually drove to Lingonberries Market (a local gf grocery store) to pick it up. Then got home only to discover I'd bought the wrong ingredient. On the second try, using zucchini, the bread was so gummy I just threw it out. I was pretty discouraged, not just the failed attempts, but the time and the fact that the gf ingredients aren't cheap.

But I still had zucchini, and I found a recipe on the Bob's Red Mill website for a gf zucchini bread.  Since I was using those products I thought I'd give it a try. It tasted good, but still too "moist" (I figured out the problem once I tried the next recipe).

I finally mentioned this to my sister who has Celiac and eats a strict gluten free diet*. That's when she sent me this recipe from gluten-free goddess. Karina (the goddess) has a great blog, tons of recipes, and you can find her on Facebook or Pinterest. Her website is worth checking out.

I've had the recipe for awhile, I had one last zucchini and then a couple more (back ups) from my other sister. So yesterday I decided to try again. Finally, success!

Here's the link to Karina's zucchini bread recipe: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/08/zucchini-bread.html.
(she recommends pressing the grated zucchini with paper towels, not doing this is what "sunk" two of my previous attempts).

Don't laugh, this loaf is my triumph over baking tragedy
Luckily, it tasted better than it looked


I eat a gluten free diet due to wheat sensitivity/allergy, I'm not recommending this to anyone who eats a gluten free diet for a medical condition such as Celiac sprue.  If you'd like more info on gluten free foods from a Registered Dietician who has Celiac, see my sister's site Balanced Body Nutrition or go to her link on the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment