Friday, October 12, 2012

A Simple Bouquet of Fall Flowers

This year I've had the chance to meet a couple of my mom's friends who are "plant people". They know a lot and are fun to visit. Last week we went back to K's, she lives in a house in the country that her husband built in the 1940's. It's a beautiful area with a nice sized garden.

Each time we visit she has prepared coffee and sweets (most are homemade) and there is always a vase on the table with a few flowers from her garden. This time I got a photo.


A vase full of zinnias
To me this seems very old fashioned, and sweet. We can get so caught up in what's fashionable or trendy, but this small bouquet shows off what's growing in her garden, so simple and pretty.

We drank coffee, ate goodies, then after solving most of the world's problems we headed outside to see her garden. I expected the corn and the squash, but did not expect all of the fall flowers. Zinnia, Dahlia, and striking Hibiscus flowers with such vivid colors. 


Gorgeous Zinnias


Brilliant red Hibiscus in a sea of flowers


I just might have to print and hang these over my desk. It was a beautiful day, one of the last of unusual sunny October weather here. Today is the first rain we've had in months. It will take some getting used to again. I'll share her corn and squash photos in another post.

1 comment: