Thursday, May 17, 2012

First Veggies Planted

Our first veggies planted at Plot #40


In the cool morning air (40's) we* drove to the community garden and planted our first vegetables. Of course we brought 3 more bags of compost (I'm losing count) and worked that in first. Then built the teepee for the beans, got them planted along with 3 squash, 12 onions, and some marigold seeds.


Some changes have been made to my original plan. I had 2 teepees for beans, but only had 6 plants, so we'll start with one. I had planned on 4 squash plants (1 pumpkin) in the center planter, but it just looked too tight. The Hubbard squash got planted in the side planter, we'll see if he can stay contained in that spot. But that leaves some area in the center for carrots and maybe some seed starts.


Last night we attended the beginning gardener class and we were told that there were some seeds available in the the shed. I planted some marigold this morning and brought home some packets to start here. I just can't fathom tossing seeds in this soil and having flowers or vegetables sprout, but I'm willing to experiment.


Tomorrow morning we'll go back and plant peppers and carrots, and maybe radish seeds.


*When I say "we" I am referring to Chris (aka my partner, guy, assistant, Easter Bunny, etc.) he's always willing to help with my projects. I thank him by continually coming up with more.


Chris watering the pole beans





2 comments:

  1. Great article, like always! I am very much impressed with your work..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Rachel.
    Have a great weekend, Val

    ReplyDelete