Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Difference a Week Makes

It's sunny here, for people who live in the Pacific Northwest, that is a big deal and cause for celebration.  It's also Superbowl Sunday and while we had family over to watch the game, I will admit to not being any type of sports fan.  Last night at dinner, I was the lone female sitting with my boyfriend, his son and my nephew.  I admitted to not knowing which teams were playing.  There were lots of snorts, eye-rolling and then many made-up team names tossed out to see if I'd catch on.


January 28, 2012
Well, I may not be much of a football fan, but I am now a big fan of winter pansies. We had a heavy frost in late January and I snapped a photo of one.  I've planted them in planters on the deck railing, so they are pretty exposed. I guess I feel a little guilty about it now. When I planted them I wasn't so sure they'd make it, but decided to give them a shot.  
February 4, 2012












Yesterday, just one week after taking the photo above, I was sitting on the deck enjoying the sun with my cat, Kabrina.  I realized that the pansies actually look better now than when I bought them in November. They are very resiliant and a lot tougher than they look. They make a nice reminder that sometimes we just have to hunker down and wait it out.  


After seeing them looking so good, I decided that from now on I will try to plant some pansies in late fall, rather than waiting until February like I have in the past. Of course winter isn't over...

No comments:

Post a Comment