Monday, October 6, 2014

The Gardens at Edgefield


Figs growing in the Herb Garden.  

Last week my mom and I decided to drive to Troutdale and get coffee at McMenamin's Edgefield. I've talked a lot about Edgefield this year, because Chris and I chose it as the site for our wedding in November. I had never been there until last January. I'd heard of it, but really wasn't prepared for this huge historic site and all that it contained. I wasn't expecting the Herb Garden or the landscape surrounding the various buildings.

So, my mom and I parked, then counted the miles and the time it took from her house. We got out of the car and I immediately pulled my phone out to snap a couple of pictures. I will identify any plants I can, but I've learned that the gardens at Edgefield contain such a variety of plants that I usually have no idea what I'm looking at. (Feel free to id in the comments).

These succulents were next to the parking space:



Then as we walked up the ramp past the Black Rabbit Restaurant I snapped this:

The leaves are enormous.

Once we had our coffee, we walked back to the Herb Garden. Last summer she had liked the big pots of Lantana. That morning she told me that my great grandmother had loved Lantana and she had planted the red along her patio in San Diego.


We took this picture to remember to buy Lantana for her garden next year.

We were in the garden less than an hour on an October morning. Yet, we wandered around pointing out one plant or another. Many of the trees had berries or were dropping strange fruit on the ground.

I had to admire this Artichoke plant, note the bed frame to the right.

This planting looks like it was snapped in the middle of summer.

The gardens here are as unique as the rest of the establishment. 
It's really too bad that they don't offer floral services.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gratitude is my word of the year.

Today I am grateful for:
Sun in October in the Pacific Northwest.
Summer-like warm temperatures.
Family that I can rely on.
Starbucks offering coconut milk, after I gave up all milk drinks, like lattes.
Friends that come up with simple ways to solve a problem.
Finding a pet sitter at my vet.
And ...
my mom, for putting up with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment