Thursday, November 7, 2013

What's a Gardener To Do?


Well, it's that time of the year again. Cold, rainy, windy. Dark at 5 pm and the solstice is over a month away. My problem is that I like to be outside and now it's not really an option unless I want to get out my rain gear and boots and tromp around in our very small back yard. 

Most of my blog ideas start with a photo or several photos. A plant or a place I want to share. But now I am home bound and not snapping photos with my phone wherever I go. I've had this problem before, the garden is long gone and there are no flowers to plan for the deck. My mind literally goes blank - what am I going to do all winter?

I've been looking at Pinterest and other blogs for ideas, really wanting something I can focus on. I used to be crafty, but I lost interest in most of the things I once made. I have been wanting to discover something new, something I can get lost in, lose track of time in the details. Been considering StampingUp! card making and despite no real talent for it I've been toying with the idea of knitting those soft blankets or trying stitching, yes needle point. 

I'm someone who likes to shop and I'm on a tight budget right now. I've been viewing all those beautiful glass cloches on Pinterest (I want the green one). But, I can honestly say I have not seen any for sale (due to no shopping). My community garden neighbors had used water jugs to make their own cloches last spring. I thought that was pretty clever and happened to have 2 water jugs at home (last year's emergency water).

Alternative cloche

So, I watered my houseplants and then cut the bottoms out. We had a first frost, but then the rain, and more rain, which keeps everything warmer. So I'm waiting to try them out on some of my fall veggies when we get a clear cold night.

My season of discontent can't last much longer. I'm sure that in no time the holidays will start revving up and then it will be January before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment