Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Dirt on My Blog

Our community garden plot is awesome
(Click on photos to enlarge)

We have had a week of sunny, warm weather here. My first zucchini, crookneck squash, and green beans have all appeared this week as well. I could say I've been too busy in the garden to post on this blog, but in reality I decided to skip a few.

Two reasons: 
1) my parents' computer died (again). They are my biggest fans, and after mom mentioned liking more frequent posts I was making an effort to churn out more than two a week. Since I knew they weren't reading the blog I didn't feel compelled to write a lot.

2) despite the beautiful weather and vegetable bounty, we have had some domestic turmoil at home all of which centers around a 16 year old person who lives here part-time. I won't go into detail, but last Monday I'd planned to post photos of my first veggies. Instead I left the house for hours and tried to console myself with window shopping while plotting my revenge.

So why am I telling you this? Because I'm becoming frustrated with sugar-coated blog content and Facebook posts full of Pinterest images. I 'weed out' most negativity from my posts (except for the rototilling situation this year). But, I have to ask myself if I too am trying to present everything too perfectly?

There are a handful of bloggers I enjoy following and many that just don't offer much real content. Switching over to Bloglovin has resulted in me finding new, interesting blogs and deciding not to continue following others.

What this all boils down to is me taking a look at my blog and evaluating it the same way I'm looking at these others. So, while I work that out let me share some photos from my garden.  


First zucchini (if you have favorite recipes,
feel free to send them by e-mail or leave them in comments)


First bush beans




Our first year growing corn, and we have ears

One of the big pumpkins, vines are slowly taking over the garden

The tiny pumpkin plant I thought was dying has sprung back to life

Not everything is growing well, here's the tomato that is struggling:

I thought it may be flea beetles, but am not sure what's wrong.
If you think it involves removing the plant and burning it,
please let me know asap.



2 comments:

  1. Please don't stop blogging! I so enjoy reading about your good, bad, and indifferent days. We have so many of the same and it's encouraging to me to know I'm not the only mostly-frustrated, always-having-fun gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not stopping just evaluating, thanks for the encouragement. I have to say that your blog is one I look forward to reading. You manage to keep it fun and simple.

      Delete