Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Month of Maybe

It's the last week of May, I really can't believe it. It's still raining here and I haven't finished planting my plot at the community garden or my deck containers here at home. I've spent a lot of time thinking, "maybe the plot will be tilled today" or "maybe the rain will stop today". I have tomatoes sitting in a tray on the back (covered) porch. They are sitting next to my carrots started from seed and the geraniums I bought not knowing I would be going out of town again.





Last month my Aunt died and we went to California to attend her memorial service. Last week Chris' Grandma died and we will be leaving for Virginia to attend her funeral. We will miss them, but both lived long lives and left behind families made up of really decent people. But, for us it's just so unusual to travel this much and so far. It's also odd for us to have to plan anything at the last minute or to have a significant break in our routine.

It has been a spring that doesn't feel spring-like. I've had plans for my garden plot for months. I spent a few weeks waiting on rototilling, only to have the rain start once it was done. I ran out and bought a random variety of veggies just before Mother's Day. 


When we were at the garden last week I took a look at some of the plant tags. I hadn't kept track of the varieties I'd planted, sure enough I bought bush beans rather than pole beans and have them planted around the bean teepee. This is not the first time I've done that either.

I really wanted Scarlet Runner beans for one of my teepees, but can't find starts for them. When we get back home it will be June, so I'll just want the garden planted. June in the northwest is not usually a dry month. One thing to be thankful for is that because it's cool and rainy, I don't have to worry about my plants needing water while we're gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to add that the last Grow Write Guild Prompt # 5 was about listening to your garden. I chose not write about it, because at the community garden I hear birds and cars. I decided not to write about it because my response would have been that one sentence. But, I did read the other responses and thought they were interesting. If you'd like to read them you can go to this link: http://www.yougrowgirl.com/2013/05/13/grow-write-guild-5-sound/. Click on the comments to see the responses. The 6th Grow Write Guild prompt came out yesterday. If you like plants or writing feel free to write your response and submit a link to the current post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will not be posting this week while we are gone. I really try to be consistent with my posts, but  spending time with family and a lot of time in the air isn't conducive to me trying to maintain my blog. That said, I have links to several websites and blogs that I like, just scroll to the bottom of my page.

My friend, Marlaena will continue with her Indiegogo campaign to raise money to publish her first book. Take a look or share with friends, contributions pay for a book or print in advance. Her illustrations are some of her best work ever and I've known her for almost 20 years now. This is a worthy cause: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/black-and-white-cat-white-and-black-dog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Asha supervising 

No comments:

Post a Comment