Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Short and Sweet of It

I got my copy of The Timber Press Guide to Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest, by Lorene Edwards Forkner. It finally arrived in the mail, and I've just started reading it. Much of the book is organized by month, each of which starts out with brief categories including: 'Plan, Prepare and Maintain, Sow and Harvesting Now'. 

Her writing style is easy to read and she covers a wide variety of topics. I still consider myself a beginner veggie gardener and feel easily overwhelmed by too much gardening info. Plus, this is the only vegetable gardening book I have that is specifically suited to the northwest. 
(This was a birthday gift from Chris - Thank you).

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''



My veggie container is doing really well, enjoying the mild cool weather we've been having. It's been a week since I posted (euphorically) about getting outside in the sun and planting my salad veggies. I did realize that the sun and shadows didn't make for great pictures. But, at the time I didn't really care. So today I snapped a couple of close up shots. As you can see the primrose and pansies are loving the added compost and fertilizer.



''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Lately, I've been frustrated with my lack of filing systems. (Meaning, even I don't like to look at the piles on my desk). Over a year ago I signed up for Evernote and am still trying to figure it out. I need one place to just dump information and photos and ideas and then sort it all out.

In the meantime, I've decided go low-tech and set up some hanging files for the community garden and all of my rain garden info. A few weeks ago I attended an all day workshop on rain gardens. I left with a poster, bound material, notes, and loose material. I've still got follow up info in my work inbox, I just can't decide where to put it.

If anyone wants to offer organizational ideas that have worked for them, feel free to leave a comment below. I'd be very interested in a system that works for both hard copies and digital.



No comments:

Post a Comment