Sunday, January 20, 2013

On a Sunny Day

I just turned and looked out the window to see a very pretty sunset in purples and oranges - at 5:40 pm. During winter I notice (and appreciate) the longer days. Last month at this time it was pitch black. Of course, it was sunny here today, not always the case. I've never been more aware of the impact a sunny day has on my disposition, than I have been this year.

We've had a stretch of sunny days and cold nights. During that time I've been outside, planting flowers and cleaning up the decks. For a coffee break we drove out to Vancouver Lake looking for birds. I've written about this in an earlier post. We were ready to see eagles and only spotted 1 white egret, 2 hawks and all the geese from Canada. So, I took the opportunity to take a few photos while I was there.



This area is just south of the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge
(why we expect to see birds here)


I love these trees (Hornbeams - I think)
because they remind me of the way architects drew trees in the 60s.
Now they use SketchUp and the trees are quite ugly, in my opinion.


Here we have moss growing on the asphalt
stuff we just don't notice much when it's raining

Now, I have a cousin who lives in Southern California and when I complained about rain in the Pacific Northwest he says he wishes for it. Is it just a matter of wanting what we don't have?
I'd love to hear about the climate where you live and what you love/hate about it. Leave me a note in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment