Thursday, January 10, 2013

Let's Slow Down and Enjoy Winter

Yesterday was my birthday, I turned 45. Maybe it's the new year or my reaching 'mid-life', but lately I've found myself reviewing and evaluating things around me and in my life (including this blog). I've already mentioned that as far as All-Purpose Flower is concerned I want blogging to be enjoyable and yes, a little more fun. 


Another showcase shed and lots of bigger outdoor pieces
 found in the Salvage Garden

(click on photos to enlarge)

As a part of my birthday we went to Monticello Antique Marketplace to see the changes in the Salvage Garden that I mentioned on Monday. They are in the process of setting up for their spring show, it's a whole new world after being there before Christmas. We also had lunch at Monti's and I got Chris to play a hand of rummy with me while waiting for our order.



I couldn't help snap this photo in the ladies restroom.


One thing I am picking up on right now is the desperate urge to go from Christmas straight into Spring. Or for stores to immediately advertise Valentine's Day. For gardeners this is a time to look back, regroup, plan ahead and just take a break. I feel the urge to order the seeds and plan the garden - when in fact no planting will be done here for months.

I have been a fan of SARK (Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy) for some time. I was thumbing through my copy of Living Juicy, Daily Morsels for Your Creative Soul. It's basically a daily guide,  with a focus each week. She published it in 1994 back when she hand wrote and illustrated all of her books.

 I found a quote I had marked in the intro:
"In order to do this work we need tending, planting, weeding, nourishing. This is the work we must do in our interior gardens." - SARK

That's what I'm intent on doing right now is tending to my 'interior garden' while winter takes it's time to cycle through to spring.

This includes spending time reading 3 new books I've received as gifts. 
Chris knows I  like Timber Press a publishing house in Portland, OR. 

For Christmas I got:
The Beginner's Guide to Growing Heirloom Vegetables, by Marie Iannotti
and
Small Space Container Gardens, by Fern Richardson
and
For my birthday I will receive (as soon as it's printed):
The Timber Press Guide to Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest, by Lorene Edwards Forkner


No comments:

Post a Comment