Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Looking for Blue Skies


An arid landscape


I have been travelling the last few days and have come home with a new perspective. I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for a long time, with a 6 year stint living in desert southern Oregon as a kid. I chose to go to school in Portland, OR because it was urban and literally, green. I've worked in the rain and like most people here go about my life in the rain without an umbrella.

I spent the last few days in New Mexico and Colorado. While they admitted to having unusually warm weather, I walked and ate in the sun, even bought sunscreen and sandals - in October. I noticed the plants that were used a lot, ones that did well in an arid climate. Basically, I saw the beauty of a native landscape that wasn't green, like my own.

We flew back into Portland last night with cloud cover, cool temperatures and the rain. Today it was difficult to adjust to the clouds, rain, dark skies and cold, windy weather.

This summer it rained until June, which can be normal here. But, then we had 3 months of dry, sunny weather extending the growing season at the garden into early October. That was abnormal and I loved it. It got the wheels turning and I now feel like doing a little research on sunnier climates and longer growing seasons.

I'd like to hear from others around the country who live in a great place to garden. Feel free to leave me a note in the comment section.


1 comment: