Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Do You Miss It?

Just got home after spending a day working on my 'old' house. I moved into the townhouse almost 2 years ago. I moved from a house in the woods with wildlife and trees and quiet. Coming back here tonight on July 3rd our neighborhood sounds like a war zone. Today at my old house it was peaceful and quiet (except for the pressure washer).


My neighbor came down to chat and asked if I missed it and I said "no" - honestly. I loved the trees, but not the blackberries and constant weed whacking. I loved the wildlife (especially fawns), but not the unexpected visit of a bear or coyote which I found unnerving. I loved the solitude, but hated the distance of my commute.


The garage we built ourselves

I lived there for 6 years and learned a lot about developing a rural site. Wells, septic tanks, and gravel sizes were unfamiliar before then. I tried selling (at the worst time possible) and was lucky to rent it out. My tenants have left and we are trying to sell again. So lot's of cleaning and pruning today, tomorrow, and the next day.


It's been about 2 years since I was there last. After pruning the monster shrubs that were tiny dwarfs when I left, I have a new appreciation for appropriate plant selection. Never will I plant forsythia next to a building again. 


Honestly, I'm not sure how I will pry myself out of bed tomorrow, so in the event that I don't post, I want to wish you a Happy 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment