Saturday, April 28, 2012

Trip to Cascade Greenhouse

Over the years my mom and I have done a lot of shopping at local nurseries. Today we went back to Cascade Greenhouse in Vancouver, WA.  I haven't been there in awhile, not since moving  east of town a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this nursery seemed larger, with more greenhouse space than before. 


Greenhouse at Cascade Nursery

I tried to focus on vegetables while mom found more dark purple petunias. One of the benefits of shopping at a nursery is that the staff have plant knowledge.  I asked about the variety of corn that's best for a newbie and was told by an employee to look for shorter duration of growing season, which would result in shorter corn stalks. She also mentioned to plant in groups not a single row in order to pollinate.





Veggies at Cascade Greenhouse

I found the Hubbard Squash that my friend had recommended and now realize that I didn't get the pumpkin plant I had found. I also got a pony pack of red lettuce and spinach for the planters on the upper deck.


Coleus at Cascade Greenhouse

We had seen some beautiful hanging baskets with dark coleus plants and found a huge selection of them in the last greenhouse. So many it was hard to choose, the clerk pointed out two that were trailing, in the back they had a sign about stinky coleus that kept critters away.


Mystery vine at Cascade Greenhouse.
I saw a lot of plants I'd like to buy, including several vines, but this one caught my eye.  It looks like a Black-eyed Susan vine but in a coral color.  If you know this plant please let me know by leaving a comment or e-mail.


Cascade Greenhouse is located at 2201 NE 112th Ave., Vancouver, WA 98684
Call 360-892-9494 for hours and info



No comments:

Post a Comment