Thursday, February 23, 2012

Port Townsend Planters



Crosswalk planter in Port Townsed, WA
I'd like to share two photos I took in Port Townsend, WA last October.

That city has a lot going for it, but I was impressed at finding a maze of rain gardens along their downtown streets. I'll share more on that in later posts. While snapping lots of rain garden photos I got a couple of photos showing planters in different parts of the city with a wonderful mix of plants.


This first photo was taken at a crosswalk several blocks from the waterfront, not necessarily a tourist route. Most of downtown area had recently installed the rain gardens for storm drainage and accessible ramps at intersections. These planters separate the parking stalls from the crosswalk.


Sedum is popular right now, I like a few succulent plants, but this mix of sedum and fescue grass with evergreen groundcover won me over with the colors and textures of the plants. Low maintenance and it looks good.





Planter near a playground in Port Townsend, WA
This second photo was taken along the waterfront next to a park.  The planter in the foreground had a mix of succulents, rosemary and an evergreen groundcover. In the background you can see a border planter that separated the parking with more sedum and grasses.

I was so surprised to see such beautiful plant groupings on city property. This mix would look beautiful in any yard.  The sedum and grass combination would look great in my parents yard and be a drought-tolerant addition.

P.S. after I took this photo, a City of Port Townsend truck pulled into the parking lot.  Two employees got out and started picking up litter, one came my way and smiled as she passed.  That says a lot about about taking pride in your place.

(I'm not sure if the evergreen groundcover was a strawberry and if anyone would like to fill in the plant names for some of these sedums that would be great.)

No comments:

Post a Comment