Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Planting the Seed

Upper deck containers last summer

I met with my former "garden partner" for coffee the other day and she brought up the community garden. I told her I won't be going back this year (the flea beetles won). What I am going to do is try to container garden on the deck, and try to find ways to use the small garden space downstairs. That means no corn, no pumpkins, nothing that takes up a lot of space. It also means now is my chance to maximize the small space I have and start thinking vertically. For example, I just saw something online about growing gourds up a trellis.

The other thing she mentioned was starting plants from seed. I have been seeing seed packets splashed all over Facebook and Instagram. I have tried the last two years and had some success. I don't have the right place for starting seeds, the downstairs deck is covered, but doesn't get a lot of light. Also, with minimum planting area I won't have room for the number of plants one seed packet can generate. So no seed packets this year, I intend to buy all my veggies as starts at the nursery.

As I have an number of months to plan this out, one place to start would be my boards on Pinterest.  I have boards on Containers, Veggies, and Vertical Gardening. Maybe this year I'll plan my garden on a board. You can always go to my Pinterest page by clicking on the red "P" button in the upper right corner of the web page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My word for the year is Gratitude.

Today I am grateful for:
the sound of rain against the window
listening to Depeche Mode on Pandora while dusting
our Keurig coffee maker
birthday dinner plans
oatmeal breakfasts made by Chris
my secret Hershey stash
and 
for my biggest blog fans, Mom & Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment